The Hudson Valley is home to some of the most unique and noteworthy places to stay in the country. From old taverns that have undergone a massive reboot, emerging from construction with a modern take on classic design, to stately manors that offer an elegant and refined escape, discover the Hudson Valley’s must-stay hotels.
1. Glen Falls House in Round Top offers all the simple pleasures in life without any of the fuss inherent in hotel stays. Rooms are outfitted elegantly and simply, reflective of a Scandinavian less-is-more aesthetic, letting the common spaces and the lush grounds and amenities shine all brighter. The Tavern at Glen Falls House, located just across the country road from the House, offers music, arts and entertainment, as well as classes on herbal remedies and letter writing. A stunning waterfall on the property offers the perfect spot for an afternoon picnic or reverie, and the on-site restaurant, Trotwood, serves upscale comfort food in a refined setting. Mountain bikers and alpine skiers and riders will appreciate the House’s proximity to nearby mountains.
2. Morgan State House in Albany bills itself as the “Ultimate Urban Inn,” and we have to agree. A winner of several TripAdvisor awards for excellence in one aspect or another, this elegant retreat is an oasis in the city. Down duvets and pillows provide a dreamy night’s sleep in a historic room with all the modern amenities. Located on Washington Park, which was designed by Central Park’s architect, Frederick Law Olmstead, the House is a former 1880s mansion that has been painstakingly restored. An English garden provides a lovely place to enjoy breakfast, which is served up every morning. The House is an ideal spot to stay if you’re in town for one of the many events in Albany.
3. Gardner Farm Inn in Troy is an elegant retreat in the heart of the city. Each room is decorated with antique treasures and named for someone famous. The Jean Harlow Suite offers old Hollywood glamour, while the Oscar Wilde room has a modern-meets-elegant décor. Breakfast is prepared with locally sourced eggs and produce. Throughout the year, the Inn offers special events, including musical performances that are open to guests and the public. The Inn is the ideal place to stay if you’re visiting the local college campuses, or if you’re in town for a special event.
4. Mount Merino Manor Bed & Breakfast in Hudson offers all the comforts and amenities of a country retreat. Located near Olana State Historic Site, the former home of Hudson River School painter Frederick Church, Mount Merino’s setting is picturesque. Situated on a hilltop surrounded by 100-acres of woodland, you’ll enjoy magnificent views from your plush and well-appointed room. Enhance your stay with bubbly and truffles or a bouquet of flowers that will be waiting in your room upon check-in. Within a short drive from the Inn, you’ll find antique dealers, art galleries, wineries, fine dining, shopping, and outdoor recreation opportunities in the Hudson Valley.
5. Foxfire Mountain House in Mt. Tremper offers a Bohemian flair for travelers looking for a modern retreat with all the comforts of your favorite, “globetrotting uncle’s country estate.” Common spaces are bedecked in Moroccan tiles, vintage velvet and leather sofas, stone fireplaces, and sheepskin rugs. Sophisticated, yet immensely comfortable and welcoming, the House is saturated on 10 private acres in the Catskill Mountains. Enjoy exploring the countryside for treasures during the day and gathering by the bonfire at night. Rooms are pristine and welcoming, and the on-site dining room requires three months advance reservation. The Foxfire Bar Room has limited seating, but a few seats are held nightly for walk-in guests.
6. Mirbeau Inn & Spa in Rhinebeck is a brand-new boutique hotel with a Parisian, old-world feel, where every guestroom features a fireplace and French-style soaking tub. Located right on Market Street, all the village’s restaurants, shops and small-town charms are just a few steps away. The onsite, award-winning Spa Mirbeau offers an array of treatments, yoga and fitness classes and more. Don’t miss the Aqua Terrace – an outdoor oasis with hot spa pool, waterfall and fireplace – or make a reservation at the in-house restaurant, Willow by Charlie Palmer.
7. The Glenmere in Chester is a splurge-worthy destination. This 150-acre estate is crowned by Glenmere Mansion, a Gilded Age retreat of the Goelet family, who hosted royalty, aristocracy and leading artists in its refined rooms. Now a luxury retreat offering European-style elegance and sophistication, guests will love exploring the estate, relaxing at the spa, and dining in one of several on-site establishments. Rooms are sumptuous and refined, bathrooms bedecked in marble and deep soaking tubs, and the views of the grounds from The Duchess Suite’s Juliette balcony? Divine! Located close to West Point and Hyde Park, enjoy an elevated escape in the Hudson Valley.
8. The Time Nyack offers luxurious accommodations in unique, industrial-design inspired rooms that invite the suspension of time. Views of the Hudson River, and the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge await from your room’s balcony. The outdoor seasonal pool provides a calm oasis, perfect for a quick dip or leisurely afternoon by the water. Enjoy BV’s Grill’s sophisticated space for a bite to eat or cocktail. Let us guide you on day explorations by bike, foot, or car.
9. Bedford Post Inn in Bedford is an elegant Relais & Chateaux property that offers a post-card perfect retreat. Guests of the property have access to daily yoga classes at The Yoga Loft, a spacious, light-filled studio that offers a calming space to practice Hatha, Vinyasa, Restorative, and Shakti Flow yoga poses. Enjoy classes that focus on relieving facial pressure, and Yang to Yin classes, then spend the day roaming the grounds. Curl up by the outdoor fireplace at the Reflection pool with a good book, take a dip in the pool, or simply prepare for a delicious meal at the Inn’s on-site restaurant, The Barn, which opened February 2020. A raw bar, farm-to-table cuisine, and accessible, yet refined dishes make any evening at The Barn memorable.
Wherever you choose to lay your head, Travel Hudson Valley is ready to welcome you and make you feel right at home.