Two local chefs on James Beard semifinalist list for ‘Best Chef NYS’
Westchester, Rockland chefs on James Beard semifinalist list for best chef in New York State
Two local chefs — one in Rockland and one in Westchester — have been nominated as semifinalists for "Best Chef New York State" by the James Beard Foundation.
Paolo Garcia Mendoza, the chef and owner of Karenderya in Nyack, and Anthony Gonçalves, chef/owner of Kanopi in White Plains, are on the list for the first time.
The semifinalist announcement, a coveted industry nod, is part of an annual list of nominees that kicks off a busy season of industry awards. A pared-down notice of finalists follows on March 29 with winners in each category announced at a ceremony in Chicago on June 5. More details can be found at jamesbeard.org/awards.
Other chefs in their category include:
- Gerardo Alcaraz, Aldama, Brooklyn
- Nasim Alikhani, Sofreh, Brooklyn
- Mary Attea, The Musket Room, Manhattan
- Giovanni Cervantes, Taqueria Ramírez, Brooklyn
- Amanda Cohen, Dirt Candy, Manhattan
- Calvin Eng, Bonnie's, Brooklyn
- Shenarri Freeman, Cadence, Manhattan
- Charles Gabriel, Charles Pan-Fried Chicken, Manhattan
- Sol Han, LittleMad, Manhattan
- JJ Johnson, FIELDTRIP, Manhattan
- Sohui Kim, Gage & Tollner, Brooklyn
- Shaina Loew-Banayan, Cafe Mutton, Hudson
- Ayesha Nurdjaja, Shukette, Manhattan
- Junghyun Park, Atomix, Manhattan
- Franco Sampogna, Frevo, Manhattan
- Eric See, Ursula, Brooklyn
- Hillary Sterling, Ci Siamo, Manhattan
- Sohail Zandi, Brushland Eating House, Bovina